Friday, October 31, 2008

Why I am

My name is Kelli and I am a 28 year old pastor living in Kansas City, MO. I grew up in a Southern city where people spoke about equality but lived in specific neighborhoods without crossing the racial line. Whether in my hometown or in Kansas City, we still live divided lives whether by race or class or a variety of labels and prejudices that only hold us back. This couldn't be further from what God desires or what the promises of our country hold. In church as well as in our American neighborhoods (and around the world), I believe that true community is built among a variety of people all sharing the best of themselves, working together to make a just world. My husband and I moved into a diverse neighborhood with the hope that with one step we can make a difference in building up community where our faith and values are lived out. As modern people, we speak of justice in punitive ways, but the Biblical sense of justice is centered in the idea that all people will eat well, all people will live well. This is the type of country I desire, the type of justice I desire. I am voting for Barack Obama because he shares that value. He has not asked me to put anything before my faith. He has simply asked that people believe in their ability to make a difference in their country, wherever they may be starting. I start in my faith, and hope that the images of peace that I see in the Bible where people live in harmony may become more real under a Obama presidency. Whether my neighbor shares my faith or not, I know that many share a hope for a better America where the dignity of each individual is lifted up before the "rights" of corporate America. Come January, I look forward to working with Obama and all of the United States to make this hope come true.

No comments: