Wednesday, June 4, 2008

It's over...

Who hasn't become fatigued with the recent election process? And, the fact of the matter is that is has only just begun. (If I knew how to add a song snippet right there, I would.) Even in the tiredness of constant coverage, there really is a great message out of the campaigning:

People are more involved than ever.

Oh, yes, even this tired voice can say that it is an exciting time where people are talking and discussing and actively seeking out the process. That old saying about what is appropriate to talk about and what is not at dinner is truly out the window. Given that I am a pastor, I am always ready and willing to talk about religion. And, our society seems to be obsessed with talking about sex, or at least the sex lives of celebrities. But, now, more people are willing to express their views on politics, even in mixed company.

The pundits and television commentators reveal a divided system, but in the everyday lives of regular people, it is different. My concerns about this government and this life are centered in the same questions that those of the differing party are trying to answer too. We are caught up in seeking out a way to live and a way to vote that makes our values known. Clearly, my values are not the same as many, but in humility I know that the person who disagrees with me has the same rights I do and were made by the same loving Creator who made me. This is so beautiful to me. (And, it may be a little rose-colored-glasses of me as well.) However, the possibility of honest conversation with those who share my ideas or those who differ is foundational to a great country and being a great society.

My hope for today: that many will seek to move out of the partisan examples layed before us and talk with our family, friends and neighbors about what they care about, doing so without judgement. Whatthey say may hurt our feelings, but in getting to know each other, we can see a future that is different.

No comments: