Monday, June 23, 2008

Moving: the 20-something's Dilemma

Somewhere out there in cyber space, there is a statistic about how often people in their 20's move. It's part of our dna in the decade starting with a 2. We finish training/schooling/college. Maybe, you move for an advanced degree. We move for our first job. We move for that next better job that keeps us assured of our value in the world, but reminds us again that we are at the mercy of the employer. Do you hear your story here? Whether you are one of those 20/30 something people or not, the story of life in the US seems to be one of mobility.

Personally, I moved from Louisiana to Texas to Kansas City. Those are just the big moves. I am on my 3rd living environment just in Kansas City, and I remember 5 or 6 moves in Texas. No one likes moving, and anytime it's brought up, at least two people get in to an argument about who hates it more. Let me assure you, I hate it too.

However, with each readjustment, we are given an opportunity to go through our stuff, and our memories, to see what can stay and what must go (to Goodwill or maybe the trash). This move recently was into a smaller space, with the acknowledgement that we are getting married soon. There are many things and memories that are moving from one place to another.

Do I really need the purple bag I used for my pom-poms in 9th and 10th grade when I was in the Pep Squad? (The answer to this, is yes. I love that bag, the memories with it, and hearing people laugh when I say 'pep squad.') Do I really need to keep my old glasses that I loved at the time, but would never wear again? (No, I have pictures to remind me of them. And, someone helped by the Lion's Club deserves them.) Do I really need to keep _____ ? (Fill in the blank, and the answer is more often than not 'no.')

You have probably been through this litany yourself. Have you found yourself opening up a box that has made it through 2 moves (or more) without being opened and wondering if you can guess what's in it before the lid comes up? We do this with things and we do this with our own memories. We keep them inside our hearts and hold on to them, even when they are negative and need to be let go.

So, I must thank God for moving. I thank God that it takes every bit of energy and planning that it does. For, it is in that exhaustion, we see and remember and move on just as we are moving in.

-Kelli

No comments: